
So, the New Year's list is underway-the Redding Marathon is two weeks from yesterday, and I'm already sweating bullets. We ran a 17.5 miler a few weeks ago to get a feel for the mileage. It was supposed to be 17 miles, but we took a wrong turn and got a bit lost. The point of the run was to se that it wasn't so bad and thereby get our confidence up. Matt broke his foot-he's got a stress fracture and is out for 6-8 weeks.
Needless to say, the confidence booster was a fiery train wreck. Like a passenger jet crashing into a bullet train and both of them plowing into a hospital for orphans of war vets.
So now I'm trying to rock the taper. For those of you who aren't in the biz-"tapering" is the fine art of slowly decreasing the intensity and volume of your workouts before the race. The idea behind it is that you allow your body to recover fully from the last few month's grueling workouts and start the race fully recovered. So far it's culminated in an odd mix of emotions-I'm actually worried that I'm not working out hard enough whilst stressing out that I'm over training. I think that the main point of tapering is to distract yourself from the 26.2 miles that lie ahead.
Either way, in two weeks I'll have a check mark on my list. How's your list going?
4 comments:
So, how can your friends come watch you marathon and simultaneously check a resolution of your list? Maybe our resolution should be to better support our buddies this year. Then WE could give ourselves a check-mark at the same time!
You are way too sweet! I LOVE your resolution! I'll look up when and where it'll be easy to spot me as I wheeze on by.
Hey B - I'm not going to be able to make it up there to support you in person, but is there a way that we can track your progress online? Do you know your bib # yet? JoyB
I don't know if there's any way to track it, but I'll get you my bib # as soon as I know it.
Post a Comment