Self-improvement is something that should be consistent year-round rather than a "once a year hope I stick to it" commitment. Consequently, I'm not much of a "self-improvement" resolution guy, I'm more of a do stuff that sounds fun/interesting/scary. It's a lot more fun, and if there's some self-improvement along the way, it's a bonus. Notably for 2008 were getting Heather's passport a stamp (Jamaica), completing a triathlon (albeit a sprint distance) and getting paid by someone to write, among a few other things. It's nice to check off a few things-it makes the last 360 feel pretty well spent.
So this year, there's going to be a new list...I'm thinking about putting it online here for the sake of accountability, and to revel in my triumphs and wallow in my failures with a nice little community.
I'm thinking five or so things that I'd like to get done, maybe an interesting challenge or two...climb a 5.12 wall, climb Mount Shasta, run a marathon, enter a bouldering competition, go a month without (gasoline/caffeine/meat/whatever). I'll try to set it in stone before the first, but I may need some help deciding on that "month without" category.
If you want to try it, I'd suggest trying to stick with five or ten challenging but not impossible goals, and if you're bound and determined to improve, set a goal that'll line up with what you want. Training for a race of some kind will most likely get you in shape anyway, so you're killing two birds (say "Run a Half-Marathon" and the much more vauge "Get In Shape") with one stone.
Also, make sure that there's one thing on your list that scares the bejeezy out of you.

So-anyone else up to the challenge of a public "To do in '09" list?
6 comments:
Me! Me! Me!
For some reason, even though I don't like trendy things, something about the fresh start of January 1 always invites me in and inspires me. I was beginning this type of thought process almost a year ago, but didn't quite formulate it the way you have. Even still, 2008 saw me do several things I'd not done before.
1) Maintain a running training program for more than 3 weeks (4 months, in fact)
2) Maintain weight previously lost for more than 6 months
3) Run my first competitive races (5k in May; 5mi on 7/4)
And even though these kind of led to some failures (dropped off of running training in July, did not compete in previously planned half-marathon and other smaller events), I'm closer to those things now than I was a year ago.
Thanks for the inspiration (again!). I'll post mine w/in a few days as well.
Heck yeah, Jered! It's pretty sweet to have those check marks on the list, huh?
I can't wait to see your list, man.
I have one goal for this year: take my GRE. I had a full five year plan, but it died.
PS I like TV on the Radio's new one, but I still like their Return to Cookie Mountain better. Maybe I grew accustomed to the weirdness. How was your iTunes spree?
That mouse picture makes me sad. :(
Yeah, I'd like to see you go a month w/o gas. It would be impossible for you since your job depends on you driving around in a car all day long, and I don't think Heather would agree to riding bikes around everywhere for a month. But good luck with that. :)
My goal: try not to kill anyone after having a baby and not sleeping for weeks on end! I think that's a pretty good goal, don't you? :P
Trev-Yeah, I don't know what can top Cookie Mountain. And the iTunes spree? Expensive.
Anna-I tried the "don't kill anyone resolution before", but it's just too hard to stick to.
As for the gas thing, I accidentally did it in December-go figure!
Post a Comment