Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Jesus is my Homeboy



Everybody's got a lot of acquaintances, people they get along with, chill with, and generally like, but how many of them to you really get deep with? You might hang out with dozens of people, but how many guys do you really know?

Chances are you've got maybe one or two really close friends who know everything about you, and vice versa. Those are the friendships that you cherish, that you hang on to for a while.

I don't think I'm getting deep with God. I'll do my reading in the morning, but once I'm done with my few chapters, I'll bust out a quick prayer going over the list, and then I'll go about my day. I give God about fifteen, twenty minutes, and then a few scattered prayers throughout the day. I think I need to give God a bit more than about a half hour of my day.

I've got a nice general overview about what I believe, but I don't dig deep and chew on what I'm surrounding myself with. I know some people who search for God's heart with what can only be described as a reckless abandon, and I need to be desperate for God again. It's nice to have brothers and sisters to kick you in the butt every now and then.

Take a look-are you and God really close, or do you just chill every now and then?

4 comments:

nathan said...

if you're not chilling with God, let's hang this friday ... or was it wednesday? ... i forgot ... I have a deep love and respect for you ... thanks for being so real ...

JUAN said...

Billy,

Good talking with you, wrestle bro, hang with God..

I'm excited to climb the "Mountain" in your back yard...

Juliette said...

Good question Billy. I hate complacency and yet it seems to plague me at every corner. A relationship with God is worth fighting for - fighting through the complancency that is!

Mike Cunningham said...

Billy! What's up dude? Awesome post. I've been struggling with this a lot lately. I feel like my time with God is so rushed. I want to do it, but I have to "squeeze it in" with the rest of my stuff. Some days it seems like that depth is unattainable. I keep asking "when I will quite being so surface level with God?" So, all-in-all I feel your struggle.