World War Z, for instance. This book is near to my heart because it deals with my favorite subject on a surprisingly realistic and dare I say mature matter.

That’s right-zombies, the most terrifying fictional monster ever conceived. I’ll have to post a dissertation on zombies later, but this book needs some props. It approaches a zombie outbreak in a history book format, utilizing interviews and first person accounts with characters who experienced it firsthand.
In addition, author Max Brooks goes into global repercussions that are rarely explored in zombie fiction, such as a widespread outbreak’s impact on the global economy and how various cultures would interpret and deal with the horrific events. It’s actually dang fascinating, and not high on the disgusting factor.
The problem is that most people dismiss the zombie genre as pulp, using shock value instead of storytelling, leaving this book to be enjoyed primarily by those who are already fans of the undead. Which is fine by me, I loved the book. I just feel bad for those whose prejudices will prevent them from experiencing this literary awesomeness.
When Heather started going to her girls’ book club, I jokingly suggested that she lobby for WWZ, and we were both certain that it would get shot down. Another example of my wife’s greatness by the way-she read it and loved a long time ago. After a while, Kathy Emma borrowed it and gave it a good review, and then Rosetta, and now the book is making its rounds around the reading group in an unofficial capacity. Crazy props to the the girls in the reading group.
It’s nice to see a good book get it’s due. Buy it. Borrow it. Read it. I’ll think more highly of you for it.
4 comments:
I'm not gonna lie. That picture scared the shit out of me.
That is the best comment I've gotten.
Ever!!!
You rock, Candace!
Werewolves kick zombie butt. And pirates kick ninja butt. Proper.
I definitely want to read it - I love history and I'm strangly drawn to creatures like zombies and vampires (although I'm slightly terrified of them too) so it sounds like a book for me. I'll let you know what I think :)
Post a Comment