Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Community Run

When I first started running, I had a race in mind.

I ran with an objective every time I was on the trail-I'd be working on either upping my mileage or lowering my times. I still focus on one of those two things whenever I run, even though I'm not training for a specific race.









Consequently, my watch tends to be the only thing that I look at when I run. Lately, I've been feeling pretty convicted about this-every time I run, I'm either running along a river, through some woods or by some kind of landmark, and I'm too busy trying to kick ass to actually enjoy my surroundings.

Today I ran on the new branch of the River Trail that goes across the Sundial Bridge, through Turtle Bay and across the Sacramento River on Highway 44, and I made it a point to take in my surroundings. I stopped on the new bridge and checked out the river. Leaning on the rail, I was mesmerized by some foot-long trout swimming placidly against the current as the water passed by below me.

I kept running and ran into an acquaintance, a bike shop owner who was cycling by on the trail. Instead of nodding and continuing, I made it a point to stop and catch up with him for a bit before continuing, and just before I got home, another buddy drove by and honked, then turned around and met me at my driveway to hang out.

It took me longer to run five miles than it has in a long time, but during my run, I had a nice, quiet moment by the river, got to hang out with two pals, and came home really stoked about my town.

I'm going to make it a point to stop and smell the roses more often. They smell pretty darn good.

1 comment:

Garth Schmeck said...

I think you have the right idea and many times we need to allow things to happen... like chatting with friends and looking at God's creation, just because.

It was great to bump into you today!