Pages

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Run away!!!


Well, not away, really. Just run. Or walk. Or ride a bike.

I still get people at work, at parties, even at crotchet battles (is that a real thing?) telling me "Dude, I need to lose some weight." Just like that. Everyone starts with "dude".
Run. It's the easiest thing in the world. Just take a bunch of steps. Hell, walk. You'd still be doing more than you're doing right now, sitting at a computer. I'm typing this whilst running on a treadmill, so...whatever.

Seriously though, my deal with running isn't just a fitness thing. It's a reason to go outside and hang out with pals. It's hard to beat any time spent outside with friends, and yesterday was a prime example. Yesterday morning, Matt, Tommy, Brett, Halleck, Benji, and I went to the River Trail to walk/run/bike. It was great, everyone went at their own pace, Tommy went early, and Brett, Benji and Halleck ran a bit and rode their bikes.

It was perfect, because everybody got to go at their own pace and no one felt pressured to go beyond their comfort levels. Most importantly, we all got to hang out and everybody had a lot of fun. Matt and I were doing the long distances, and it was a lot easier with the guys on bikes keeping us company (and letting me steal their water/Gatorade). We had some great talks and I left the trail totally encouraged.

The unplanned meetings are great, too. Last week I ran into the Pecauts and Candace's dad after my run. I hopped on the trail with them and Cando's dad wrecked me with a sweet interval workout. It was great, and I got to chill with the Pecaut clan as well!

Honestly, I love running, but my point is, grab some friends and go out and do something.
I'm all about grabbing a coffee at the 'buck, but that's just a part of it. You get to know someone so much better when you engage in a real activity. Think about some of the best talks you've had with people. They're incidental. They happen while you're working on some project for school, making dinner or fixing up the yard. Frisbee golf. Any-freaking-thing.

So do something. Toss the kid into a stroller, grab another parent and go for a walk. Have a buddy come help you with a house project. Maybe even head to the River Trail sometime. We'll be there.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Billy I think it's cool that you are trying to encourage people to get out and do stuff. I know Matt has really enjoyed his time running with you. I need to get a bike so that Heather and I can bike with you guys. :)

Candace said...

Booya! Good word, brother. Some of the best times I've ever had have been on some long runs with some great friends!

Emily Faulknor said...

Awesome Billy! I love this, you are bringing it and calling all of us lazy butts out of our chairs. I know Brett loved it on Sunday with you guys. I just hate to run, but I definitely want to do other things outdoors and exercise-related. You are a great leader and encourager in this. Keep it up!