Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Philip.

It's easy to overlook a panhandler. In fact, I've devoted years to perfecting a process for dealing with a street-corner panhandler, a process which includes:

-Avoiding eye contact by fumbling with phone or looking for cross-traffic.
-Cursing said panhandler for adding a modicum of guilt to my day.
-Instantly forgetting him the second he's out of my sight.

It's extremely easy when you see a person with a cardboard sign as just another sad face, as a prop to the story of your life.

It gets tougher when that face has a name.

As of right now (January 7, 11:01am), Philip is sitting in a wheelchair at the cross-section in the Target parking lot on Churn Creek in Redding.

He's wearing a camouflage jacket, and a black hat and gloves that I just gave him. It's about 34 degrees outside.

He's wearing two pairs of ripped jeans to help keep his legs warm. I have clothes that I haven't worn in years.

He looks to be in his fifties. He has fingernails that haven't been cut in a while, he's got longish grey hair that's balding on top, and he lights up when you make eye contact with him.

He says "beautiful" a lot.

When I looped around the parking lot to wave goodbye, to told me that my brake light was out.

He's not just a prop to add ethos to your life. His name is Philip, and he's got a story of his own.

At the very least, smile at him if you see him today. It'll make a difference to him.

But for God's sake, don't ignore him.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

idiot said...

I dig this blog entry Billy. I dig it. Dig. It.

Unknown said...

Wow...
Just wow...
Thanks for the post Billy, and the challenge!
I'll look for Philip next time I'm up that way...
Way to freakin' go, Billy!!!!
I'm proud of you dude!!!

Anna said...

Good for you Billy, I proud of you!