Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Heaven Serves Blue Mountain Coffee


Sometimes it's not the major events that make life great, sometimes it's the details.

I was drinking coffee at one of the patio tables overlooking the pool. It was 9 a.m. and people were already swimming and laying around in the sun. I had just mawed on a breakfast of scrambled eggs and fresh fruit, and I was on my way to drinking an entire pitcher of this Blue Mountain stuff while waiting for Heather to wake up. This became the daily routine last week.

Now, I AM a caffeine fiend, but Blue Mountain could convert the most die-hard caffeine hater. Jamaica's Blue Mountains are on the eastern side of the island, and the coffee there is world-renowned. I had read about it before we left, but to be honest, I was sure that I wouldn't be able to taste the difference. I mean, more bitter, less bitter, whatever-it's coffee. I can only tell the difference between decent coffee and terrible coffee.

I was happy to learn that our hotel served Blue Mountain exclusively, but I wasn't prepared for what happened next. The waiter brought the pitcher of coffee to the table and poured me a cup...

It blew my mind. This stuff has a kind of soft palette texture-it kind of tastes like there's already cream in it, and it counters the acidity so well...and the aftertaste is this mildly sweet linger that makes you desperate for another sip. I usually dump cream into my coffee, but by my third cup I was drinking it black.

There's a reason that this stuff usually goes for around $50 a pound in the States...but I grabbed a pound for $22 in Jamaica and brought it home. Now I'm reluctant to use it because I want it to last...I should have sprung for the 20lb. bag.

If you ask nicely, maybe I'll brew up a pot. Maybe.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I wish I liked coffee because that stuff sounds SO good! I'd probably like it if I put some of that Irish cream in it. :)

Burgo said...

I recently saw "The Bucket List" with the two old farts doing things before they ended up in the can. Anyways, Jack Nicholson insisted to be served this insanely expensive coffee. The name of it escapes me but he always offered Morgan Freeman a cup during the movie. To which Morgan would politely refuse. Near the end of the movie, Jack found out from Morgan that this coffee was actually eaten by some animal and excreted prior to harvest. Just a thought... I love coffee but only espresso in my breakfast shake.

--- Billy Brown said...

Yeah, I think it's called Civet coffee and that stuff goes for about $600 a pound. That's a lot of scratch to drink weasel poop.
Good call on the espresso breakfast shake-that's good eatin'!