Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Why diets suck.



Most people who know me know that I try to eat healthy. It's not terribly complicated, I just try to avoid saturated fats and simple carbs. I'm not on some Aktins fad or all-juice diet, I'm just picky about what I consume.

While the majority of my pals accommodate my picky habits (one couple particularly well), many assume that I'm just on a diet, and ask questions like "Can you eat this with your diet?" "How long will you eat like this?"and my favorite "When can you eat normally again?". So I'm going to clear up the confusion. This is permanent. Fo' eva'.

When you hear the word "diet", it's implied that you're acting in a way that's temporary until you hit your goal, then you can be normal again. I think that's what screws a lot of people. When people diet and hit their goals, a tendency is to go back to their old habits. They gain the weight back. So they try another diet. And another one.

It doesn't work that way. I had so many clients that approached eating healthy as a
temporary sacrifice until the weight is gone. Never worked in the long run. The clients who kept the weight off were the ones who made eating healthy a regular part of their lives. There's the key. Learn to eat well all the time.

And once you get rolling, it's not even that difficult! For the most part it's actually cheaper than eating McGarbage or Obesity King.

There are volumes of books dedicated to delicious, healthy food, and I'm sure every one of you know some people who can point you in the right direction. There's even a recipe for a healthy version of fried chicken. FRIED CHICKEN. Oh yes indeed. Cheesecake? Oh yeah. Got a recipe for that too. A bomb recipe. Try me.

Seriously. It's not terribly difficult. And you will feel a-ma-zing.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I agree! Healthy eating is the way to go because then you don't always feel like a grease ball after you eat. And thanks for the little shout out for my efforts at making you delicious meals that are healthy! :)

Coach Krista "Chap" Lain said...

PREACH IT BROTHER...I know people are ALWAYS giving GRIEF because we choose to be HEALTHY! AMERICANS love their FAT especially here IN THE SOUTH!!!

BUT we must be an example and brake the matrix of complacency, comfort, & possessions.

"Obsessed: A word the lazy use to describe the dedicated" unknown.

Have you seen crossfit.com?

much love...

Becky Moseley said...

I am so proud of you for clarifying all this. I was hoping that we were the couple that accomodates you really well, but realized my cheese-filled pasta shells kind of ruined that for us.

I'll try harder.